Class: American Studies.
Give the context for, define, and tell the significance/after-effect of 7 of the following 10, in terms of 20th-century US culture/history::
Please write 4-6 sentences for each of the terms.
- Cold War (1947-90)
- McCarthyism (1950s)
- Korean War (specifically the U.S. part of the U.N.-led “police action” in Korea, 1950-53)
- Gulf of Tonkin Resolution (passed 1964, repealed 1970)
- anti-war protests (1967-71) and the “counter-culture”
- Vietnamization (1969, or Nixon Doctrine)
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial (dedicated 1982)
- Persian Gulf War (1990-91, includes Operations Desert Shield & Desert Storm; NOT the same as the “Iraq War” [2003-11])
- U.S. invasion of Afghanistan (Nov. 2001 – Dec. 2014)
- WMDs (weapons of mass destruction)
SHORT ESSAY: answer any 2 of these three essays:
Please write 200 to 250 words per essay.
- In what ways was or was not the “Cold War” (1947-90) either “cold” or a “war”?
- How has Englehardt’s concept of “victory culture” been reflected in war toys, films & TV series since WWII? (Be sure to cite specific examples from the 3 periods discussed in the book: the peak, fall and potential revival of the “victory culture” since World War II.)
- Compare & contrast the U.S. military action in, and U.S. domestic popular support of American intervention in Vietnam (1965-73) & Iraq (2003-11).
IT HAS TO BE ORIGINAL WORK. NO PLAGIARISM PLEASE, I’M GOING TO CHECK.