Allocate at least 3 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Part 1: Pre-assessment and Implementation
Follow these steps for this week’s field experience:
- Discuss with your mentor teacher your expectations for identifying, selecting, and working with a small group of students. From your previous observation in your field experience classroom, identify students in the classroom environment that would benefit from additional learning support. Share this information with your mentor teacher to determine 3-5 students, above, at, or below standard achievement, to work with on standards specific to the social studies content area for this classroom.
- Develop a pre-assessment in the social studies content area that aligns to the standards and unit that your mentor teacher shared with you during Clinical Field Experience A. This pre-assessment can be oral, written, or completed through technology. The pre-assessment should identify how well selected students know the concept and provide data that would allow you to determine learning gaps and needs in order to develop an appropriate lesson to support learning needs.
- Share the pre-assessment with your mentor teacher and ask for his or her feedback.
- Implement the pre-assessment that you created with the selected group of students and use the data to prepare for Clinical Field Experience C.
Part 2: Reflection
In 250-500 words, summarize and reflect on your field experience including the steps you took to identify students for the pre-assessment and their pre-assessment results.
- How did the pre-assessment provide data to determine the learning gaps and needs of students?
- What challenges did you face when developing and delivering the pre-assessment?
- Explain how you will use your findings in your future professional practice.
Submit your reflection and the pre-assessment as one deliverable.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.