1) Discussion: The Social and Value Dimensions of Technology
Directions: Please answer BOTH of the questions. Total words need to equal 75 or more words.
Describe how technology affects society?
What is meant by the democratic dilemma in science and technology?
2) Paper: The Social and Value Dimensions of Technology
- Discuss social issues raised by technology regarding privacy and intellectual property.
- Read the Case Study 38: “Software for a Library” from the text book and answer the questions at the end. Also, discuss the social ethical issues involved in this study and how they can be resolved. (use the template: Evaluation of Case Study)
- Explain the terms determinism, optimism and pessimism in evaluating technology with regards to social effects. (write at least 2 paragraphs for each)
3) Some Questions that needs answered
- How does the line-drawing approach help solve ethical problems and limit the risk on projects? (Approximately 2 paragraphs).
- How does working with a team cause potential ethical problems? How can these issues be limited and avoided? (Approximately 2 paragraphs).
- What makes engineering a true profession? What are the reasons of engineering not being considered to be the same level as medicine and law? (Approximately 2 paragraphs).
- Why is analyzing a case study central to ethical problem solving? What benefits does this analysis provide? (Approximately 2 paragraphs).
- Is the problem solving approach presented in this course similar or different from the engineering problem solving approach? Explain how and why it is different or similar? (Approximately 2 paragraphs).